September 10, 2006

In Memory of Stanley L. Temple

Here is what I know of you:
Stanley L. Temple
77
New York, NY
United States
World Trade Center
In all the memorial sites and the newspaper articles, there are no memorials to you. No family members and friends write of your life, no obituaries mark your birth and passing, your work, or those you left behind. Where the click of other names leads to smiling photographs and poignant tributes, broken links follow your name, or the simple words of school children and respectful condolences of strangers.
Like this, from Sindy:
I seen that no one has wrote u and it made me feel so bad. I hope that u are in a better place now. And I hope that ur family are recovering as best as they can. May God bless u and ur family.
Or this, from Kasy Jo:
iam so sorry you were a victim hope your family doing well. iam sureyou werea great person. and iam sorrythat happend to you and your family.

god be with you always
Or this, from Kaitlyn:
Dear family of Stanley L. Temple, At my church today we prayed for your family and read your husband/dad's name to each other and thought about every person that lost their life's on this very terrifing day. With much love, kaitlyn:)
Nothing more. You are a mystery.

But there are some things I think I can know just from your name and age. You were born in the twenties, a child of the Great Depression, one of the Greatest Generation. It is likely you served your country in World War II or Korea, as you would have been a teenager at the start of the first war, a young man at the finish of the second. Perhaps you loved a wife and raised a family in New York when the wars were over, and watched your children grow to adulthood through the turbulence of the 60s and 70s. Having lived to 77, you certainly worked, perhaps at your heart's vocation, perhaps just to pay the bills. And you had dreams. I know you had dreams.

As I write this I like to think that your last day was spent in the tower viewing the city from the observation deck, enjoying the peace of retirement in a favorite place. I like to think that somewhere in New York your family and friends think of you now, sad that you are gone, but filled with memories of a long life well lived.

I remember you. Our country remembers you. And although the details of your life are a mystery, we mourn your loss as deeply as if you were our father, or brother, or son.

2996 Project tributes to the lives lost on September 11, 2001

On 9/13/2006 I received the following anonymous comment. Many thanks to whomever added it. I am so glad to know that Stanley does indeed have a family who undoubtedly miss him. I offer them my deepest sympathy, and hope they know that by writing my tribute I feel I know him myself.
I did not know Stanley personally, but worked as an employee of the City of New York to assist his family in obtaining a death certificate in the wake of the Trade Center disaster. Stanley worked shining shoes for the employees of Cantor Fitzgerald. He was not on their payroll, but his presence and employment was verified by enough surviving employees of Cantor Fitzgerald that his family was, after some wait, able to obtain a death certificate without the three-year wait usually required in case of a missing person. I don't know if his sister will see this tribute, but it's lovely to know it's out there. Thank you.

14 comments:

joy said...

Your caring nature is very inspiring Margie

Mama Nabi said...

This is a touching letter - thank you for writing this to Stanley Temple...

Miss Chris said...

A very poignant tribute.

Tibbs said...

OH HOW SOON WE FORGET

Like to invite you for a visit to the "OH HOW SOON WE FORGET" Website at

http://tibbsau.com/how.html

It is a support website for the Leaders of the Free World and our Military. It has a lot of interesting information on it plus a Forum where you can also have your say concerning matters on this.

Thanking you for your time, hoping that you will come for a visit, and would be honoured if you would have time to sign the Guestbook in support.

Would also be great if you could forward this onto another contact of yours to help support us.

Yours Sincerely,

Tibbs

Paige said...

He is definitely remembered. They all are. My tribute is posted.

Ryan said...

What a beautiful tribute. What a tragic loss. I will post a tribute to "John Thomas McErlean" on my site on 9/11. Thanks for honoring Stanley Temple in such a beautiful way.
Ryan

The Wandering Author said...

I think you did a great job of honouring Stanley, especially with so little information to work with. I don't know which would be worse, if he had no one to care for him, or if they were so devastated they never even posted a tribute to him.

MaeDay said...

Thank you for honoring Stanley Temple. How sad to read of one who is not remembered. Perhaps he was a widower. Will honor him tonight in my thoughts and prayers.

Malinda777 said...

Stanley Temple, I will remember you today too. Anyone who lived 77 years contributed much to our country just through a life. A nice tribute and we honor so many today. Today I remember Thomas Foley. May you all rest in peace.

Spyderkl said...

That was terrific, Margie! A beautiful, heartfelt remembrance. Maybe somebody who knew him will find this today and feel a little solace.

Raggedy said...

Wonderful Tribute!
Your tribute brings us closer to knowing a little more about the people who lost their lives.
Thank you.
These are heartbreaking stories and difficult to read....
I am honored to be a part of this project.
Mine is posted also...

The 2996 link is down. I have a new link on my site to view the participants.

Bless you...

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challengeand controversy. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anonymous said...

I did not know Stanley personally, but worked as an employee of the City of New York to assist his family in obtaining a death certificate in the wake of the Trade Center disaster. Stanley worked shining shoes for the employees of Cantor Fitzgerald. He was not on their payroll, but his presence and employment was verified by enough surviving employees of Cantor Fitzgerald that his family was, after some wait, able to obtain a death certificate without the three-year wait usually required in case of a missing person. I don't know if his sister will see this tribute, but it's lovely to know it's out there. Thank you.

Margie said...

Thank you all for your thoughts. And Anonymous, thank you so much for posting the information about Stanley! I will add that to my tribute to others who might see it later will know who Stanley was. And I do hope his sister sees it. Thank you for providing this information!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I happened to find you, Third Mom, but I did and this particular entry is what I came upon. How touching, how extraordinary. You did an amazing job with your tribute. I applaud you.

Sincerely,
Dawn Richardson Gepfer